Fighting a Speeding Ticket
A Redwood City traffic ticket attorney can help you fight a speeding ticket. Speeding tickets are perhaps the most common traffic violation. You can typically receive a speeding ticket for:
- Driving in excess of the posted speed limit.
- Driving at a speed that is not safe for given conditions, even if this is below the speed limit.
- Speeding in a school or construction zone.
- Driving excessive speeds for a truck or commercial vehicle.
But while speeding tickets may be commonplace, they can still have serious consequences and you should consider talking to an attorney to learn your defenses.
What Happens When You Get a Ticket
Typically, when you are pulled over for speeding, the officer will give you a ticket. You will be asked to sign the back of the ticket, which is merely a promise that you will show up at traffic court at a specified time. Signing the ticket is not an admission of guilt.
You will later receive a letter regarding the amount of the fine and actions that you can take. You will have the option of fighting your traffic ticket or pleading guilty.
Penalties for a Speeding Ticket
Many associate a speeding ticket with only a monetary fine. However, a speeding ticket can have much greater consequences including:
- Attending (and paying for) traffic school
- Paying associated fees
- Getting points on your driving record which can lead to increased insurance premiums
- Losing your driving privileges
Deciding to Fight Your Speeding Ticket
Just because an officer writes you up for a speeding violation, this does not mean that you are guilty. If you decide to fight your ticket, you can have your day in court and defend your case. It may be a good idea to have a Redwood City traffic ticket attorney on your side, as he will know what arguments work with a particular judge. Some arguments that your attorney may employ include:
- Questioning the police’s evidence, such as the calibration of a radar gun
- Presenting supporting witnesses and evidence that you were not speeding
- Arguing that the speeding was necessary to avoid a dangerous situation
- Claiming that the posted speed limit is not justified
Contact a Redwood City Traffic Ticket Attorney
There are serious consequences for receiving a speeding ticket. Contact Redwood City traffic ticket attorney Michael Silveira at Silveira Law to learn about your options for fighting the ticket and representation in traffic court. Call 415-795-3890 today.Find me on Google +!