Plea Bargaining and DUI Defense
If you have been charged with drunk driving in the San Mateo area, it is important that you work with a Redwood City DUI lawyer. Drunk driving is a very serious charge and the penalties can include mandatory minimum jail time, monetary fines, and a license suspension.
However, by working with a skilled attorney, you may be able to avoid the most serious penalties by plea bargaining with prosecutors. Your attorney may even help get your charges dismissed.DUI Plea Bargaining
Not every DUI case goes all the way to trial. In fact, in many DUI cases, prosecutors and the defendant enter a plea deal well before the trial.
The advantage of a plea bargain to prosecutors is that they can save time and resources by avoiding a full-blown trial. The advantage to the defendant is that with the help of a skilled Redwood City DUI lawyer the defendant may get off with no jail time and the dismissal of the most serious charges.
Some ways your attorney can help you at DUI plea bargaining include:
- Skilled Advocate and Negotiator. This is not your attorney’s first time bargaining against prosecutors. Your attorney knows when to be aggressive, when to back off, and how to best fight for your rights.
- Expert on Your Case. Every DUI case is different and your attorney understands the particular facts of your DUI case, as well as the strengths and weaknesses. As a result, your attorney is in the best position to evaluate deals and can advise you when a fair deal is reached.
- Understanding of the Penalties. Prosecutors typically have a lot of leeway in seeking penalties against a DUI defendant. These penalties can range from a mere slap on the wrist to several years behind bars. Your Redwood City DUI lawyer has a better understanding of when prosecutors would likely seek the most severe penalties and when they would more likely be forgiving.
Just because you have been charged with a DUI, this does not mean that you are guilty. There are many defenses available to a DUI that can lead to the charges being dropped including:
- Miscalibrated Breathalyzer test
- Improperly administered field sobriety test
- Lack of probable cause to make the arrest
- Problems in the chain of custody of your blood test
Your attorney may use arguments such as these to help get your DUI charges dismissed.Contact a Redwood City DUI lawyer
There are many advantages of working with a DUI attorney. Your attorney has been through the DUI process many times before and can be your strongest advocate in plea bargaining. In addition, you attorney knows how to fight for your innocence and can help you develop strategies to get your charges dropped. If you have been charged with a DUI, contact Redwood City DUI lawyer Michael Silveira at Silveira Law to learn more about your options and possible defenses. Call 415-795-3890 today.